Obi Visits Benue Attack Sites, Demands Tinubu’s Action On Insecurity
By NEWSCOUNT Desk

Former Anambra State governor and presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Obi, has visited communities in Benue State recently affected by attacks, calling on the Federal Government to take stronger measures to protect lives and property.
Obi made the call after visiting Otukpo-Nobi and Efeyi-Ugboju communities in Otukpo Local Government Area, where recent attacks left several people dead, others missing and many injured.
During the visit to Otukpo-Nobi, Obi said more than 10 persons were either killed or declared missing following an attack by non-state actors, while several others sustained injuries and were receiving treatment in hospital.
He also visited neighbouring Efeyi-Ugboju, where more than 13 persons were reportedly killed in a separate attack, with several others injured.
Obi said he was informed during the visit that 14 persons had also been kidnapped along Ankpechi Road earlier on Thursday morning, further underscoring the security challenges confronting communities in the area.
At Otukpo-Nobi, Obi joined members of the community in prayers at the site of a mass burial for victims of the attack. He later visited some of the injured survivors in hospital, where he expressed sympathy and support to them and prayed for their recovery.
In a statement following the visit, Obi said the experience had reinforced his concern over the security situation in parts of the country and urged the Federal Government to intensify its efforts to protect citizens.
“Having visited, seen, and spoken with those affected, I urge the Federal Government to demonstrate a greater commitment to securing the lives and property of citizens and to closing the ungoverned spaces that have become breeding grounds for insecurity,” he said.
The former governor said the protection of citizens should remain at the centre of government responsibility, stressing that communities should not be left exposed to repeated attacks.
“The primary purpose of government is the security and welfare of its citizens. When the government fails in this responsibility, as it has with the people of Otukpo-Nobi, Efeyi-Ugboju, and other troubled communities, it must be reminded of that sacred obligation,” Obi said.
The visit came amid renewed concerns over attacks in parts of Benue South. Reports indicate that Otukpo-Nobi was attacked in July, with at least 10 residents reportedly killed, while another attack in Efeyi-Ugboju later in the month claimed about 15 lives, according to accounts from residents and local authorities. A mass burial was subsequently held for victims of the Efeyi-Ugboju attack.
The security situation was further aggravated by the reported abduction of passengers travelling along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis. Police later confirmed that five of the abducted persons, including a four-year-old boy, had been rescued, while nine others remained in captivity as of Friday.
Obi expressed condolences to families who lost their loved ones in the attacks and prayed for the repose of those killed, as well as the recovery of those injured.
He said the Federal Government must give greater attention to communities facing persistent security threats and take concrete steps to prevent further loss of lives.
“May the souls of the departed continue to rest in perfect peace. Amen,” he said.
